Tuesday 12 December 2017

Howard-Leight Impact Sport - Electronic Ear Pro



Howard-Leight Impact Sport are a popular electronic earmuff style hearing protection available at most outdoor retailers. I purchased my set approximately five years ago at the Bass Pro in Vaughan, Ontario. I have been using them exclusively as my primary hearing protection since then.

Impact Sports have a handy folding design that allows for easy stowage in your range bag. The ease packing is inversely proportional to use obviously. I have found them to be fairly low profile and comfortable to wear for static shooting applications for long periods. Occasionally, the Impact Sports would shift in some more dynamic positions like side prone with a shotgun around a vehicle. Even then the ear cups still provided adequate protection from range noises.

Prolonged exposure to sounds louder than 85 dB can cause damage to your hearing; sound at 120 dB is uncomfortable and 140 dB is the threshold of pain. Impact Sport automatically shut out loud noise (such as gunshots, explosions, loud engine sounds) to a safe 82dB while intensifying conversation and range instructions. I wear mine not only on the range but when moving the lawn. This is when the AUX jack comes in handy. I can plug in an MP3/IPhone and listen to music while protecting my hearing. I have significant hearing loss from the Afghanistan War so I jealously guard my remaining hearing.



Howard-Leight Impact Sport is powered by 2 AAA batteries. The battery compartment is externally access and easy to change batteries without tools or any fuss. There is a single power and volume control knob which is on the left side if microphones are worn facing forward. Battery life is preserved by the automatic 4 hour shut-off should you forget to turn them off after your range practice. That never happens. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I change the batteries in my ear pro. Batteries last that long in Impact Sports!!

Prolonged exposure to sounds louder than 85 dB can cause damage to your hearing; sound at 120 dB is uncomfortable and 140 dB is the threshold of pain.

Howard-Leight states that the Impact Sport are water resistant. Other than being caught in a few downpours trying squeeze in a few more repetitions on the range, I really have not tested their claim.


Be advised there are knock off versions of the Impact Sports on the market. They can be identified by the spring battery connectors and a slight difference in colour when compared to the real product.


Final thoughts

Howard-Leight Impact Sport is affordable and effective electronic hearing protection for most applications. They have a long battery life and are forgiving when worn for extended periods. I recommend them without hesitation.




No comments:

Post a Comment